Saturday, February 25, 2012

Feeling pretty good....

Well, chemo week was killer in the fatigue department...having to work my regular work schedule Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nearly killed me (so I thought). My work load was out of control but because I am a financial processing ninja, I made it through. I am learning that I need to pace myself when I feel so fatigued because my energy comes in bursts and fizzles out just as quickly. Some very good things happened though that let me know the chemo is doing its job. My neck which was so swollen that if you touched it, it would feel like a aired up soccer ball, has shrunk down to its normal size except for a small squishy bump like it had before. I can now take in deep breaths without feeling like something is squishing my throat and for the most part the horrible intense itching and rashes on my skin have gone away except what is still healing. I had weird twitching in my legs when I would lay down at night called nerve-apathy that would not let me get to sleep and now that seems to be gone too. The start of this week on Sunday, I felt like I was my old self again. No more fatigue or just overall weirdness feelings. My thinking was clear and I didn't feel the need to take so many naps. I don't know what I would do if I had to do chemo every week...I probably would not be able to work.I am definitely grateful for the week off before my next chemo this Monday.

So far, I have not noticed any hair loss whatsoever. Even when I brush my hair I get some hairs in my hairbrush but nothing of any significance. This next chemo could wipe my head bald for all I know, but for now I am enjoying the hair on my head with new-found appreciation! My mom though has been researching wigs for me and looking them up on Ebay and the intranet to find out what type and color matching my existing hair more correctly. I even went and had a wig consultation to see what my options are out there...kind of depressing I know! My doctor even wrote a "prescription" for a wig in case my insurance will cover part of the cost since a real wig is not cheap. Were talking hundreds of dollars for a full wig...who knew? I am hoping to never use that "prescription" but I have to be realistic. So, just for kicks...lets have a survey to see what wig I should get! See below:




 Fruit turban
                                                                             Pink Beehive




 Really long light brown hair with curl
                                                                                            



                                                                          Blue Afro



 Mowhawk
                                                           




                                                                 long dark brown hair with curl




More straight brown hair
                                                              




                                                                Super curly brown hair






Monday is my second chemo treatment and I expect I will feel the same as the last one but I wont know for sure. I want to thank everybody for their prayers, gifts of food and overall support as I go through this journey. I am feeling optimistic and strong right now, both mentally and physically, but I still need your prayers. For until I hear the words "your cured" I cant stop fighting. If God is with me, who can stand against me? I lean on him and draw strength from his promises. Love you my friends and family!


Shannon

3 comments:

  1. Lol I vote for the pink one!!!!! I like the brown curly ones, the sixth picture or the seventh picture. Both are really pretty. I'm glad you are getting better sleep now. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super curly brown hair :>) My sister in law bought a wig when she went through treatments and found she was happier wearing a scarf, but she kept the wig for back up for special events. Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Rachel I vote for the pink one also. Just a word of caution, Don’t go to the Puyallup fair wearing it, you may just return home with a few nibbles taken out of it. he he he... I am smelling bubble gum already.. Yummy:)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete